Saturday, January 26, 2008

Caroline Kennedy endorses Barack Obama

I felt the past and present collide today, in a miraculous way.

Caroline Kennedy, the daughter of President John Kennedy, endorses Sen. Barack Obama in tomorrow's New York Times, online now. She says, with typical Kennedy eloquence:
... Sometimes it takes a while to recognize that someone has a special ability to get us to believe in ourselves, to tie that belief to our highest ideals and imagine that together we can do great things. In those rare moments, when such a person comes along, we need to put aside our plans and reach for what we know is possible.

We have that kind of opportunity with Senator Obama. It isn’t that the other candidates are not experienced or knowledgeable. But this year, that may not be enough. We need a change in the leadership of this country — just as we did in 1960. ...

Senator Obama is running a dignified and honest campaign. He has spoken eloquently about the role of faith in his life, and opened a window into his character in two compelling books. And when it comes to judgment, Barack Obama made the right call on the most important issue of our time by opposing the war in Iraq from the beginning. ...

I have never had a president who inspired me the way people tell me that my father inspired them. But for the first time, I believe I have found the man who could be that president — not just for me, but for a new generation of Americans.
Read the whole thing.

I just saw Obama's acceptance speech after his big South Carolina win. I cried. I so want to live in the America he describes. I refuse to believe it's unachievable. As much as I know, as much as I've learned, I know that, despite our apparent differences, deep down, most of us want the same things: affordable healthcare, clean air, fairness and decency for ourselves and others.

For someone who had almost forgotten how to hope, it's hard. I've been burned before. We all have. As a line in Disney's Little Mermaid production on Broadway says, "happiness is not wanting impossible things." But I want a seemingly impossible thing. I want a united, not a divided, America. I want conservatives and liberals to stop demonizing each other. I want a president who wants to lead all of us into a better future.

Thank you, Caroline Kennedy. I agree. No one has espoused the sense your father, and his brother, has, in my lifetime either. Until now. I hope, again. And I'm working to turn that hope into a reality. I am a precinct captain for Obama. I worked four weeks in that last three at my regular job, but in my very precious spare time, I've been making calls on his behalf.

I wish all of you some hope, in these dark times. I hope all of us find a way to build a better America together.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you, Lisa. I decided long ago to set aside personal difference of opinion to fully support Barack Obama for that very reason.

Unfortunately, I am unable to vote for him in the primary, but I fully intend to get involved with supporting him if he wins the nomination.

For the first time in more than three decades, I am hopeful. That in itself is something.

8:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ethel Kennedy too.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am happy that you follow the news and what events influence our nation. There are those who decide to ignore what plight America is in and the massive amount of talent and leadership needed. 'Those' people almost make me feel ashamed of America's citizens, however, like you I hope for a brighter and happier America and look forward to a war-hating, people-loving Democrat winning the elction.

10:17 PM  
Blogger Real History Lisa said...

Dave: I'm so glad you've "got hope", for a change. I know - it's scary to believe. But every now and then, we have to take that risk!

Matthew - wasn't that great news? I saw Max Kennedy also supporting Obama out in Santa Monica, CA today. So it seems there's quite a lot of Kennedy support for Obama, which does appear fitting.

Dimitri - you just made my month. It's for people like you that I try to keep up at all. Life has it's own challenges every day. But when people tell me I make a difference, however, small, that helps me continue.

You all make a difference to me too. You show me I'm not alone in the world, though sometimes it starts to feel that way!

The next few days will be intensely interesting. I doubt I'll be blogging until after Feb 5. A Zogby poll reported by Reuters shows Obama with a SLIGHT LEAD OVER CLINTON IN CALIFORNIA! Oh, please let that be true, and let that hold. That would be absolutely amazing, and might guarantee Obama the continued momentum necessary to win the nomination. Yep - I still "got hope" too. ;-)

11:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home