Friday, November 02, 2007

Lions for Lambs - a MUST SEE

Living in Los Angeles, I have the fortune to be able to attend many films before they are released to the public. Tonight, I saw what is surely the best film I've seen all year: Lions for Lambs.

It's talky. But the dialog is absolutely brilliant. And to show you how right up my alley this film was, the friend I went with turned to me afterwards, regarding the screenwriter, "oh my God, this guy is your future husband!" Sadly, the screenwriter is already happily married, and the couple just had their first baby, so my hopes were instantly dashed. But if you see the film, you'll know why my friend said that. You'll want to marry him too, no matter your sex. ;-)

It's a rare feature with three big-name stars in it that also has something important to say, and a deft way of saying it. This film holds the conversations we should all be holding, as a nation, about who we are, where we're going, and what we're going to do about it.

I've said many times in this blog we must all get more busy, be more deliberate with our choices. But I haven't said it nearly as well as the screenwriter did in this film, which is deftly directed by Robert Redford, who also plays a key role in the film (along with the still chameleonlike Meryl Streep and the PERFECTLY cast Tom Cruise).

Go see it. You will be riveted. And it's mercifully short - under two hours. It will be the most invigorating time you've spent at the theater all year.

5 Comments:

Blogger Real History Lisa said...

Two addenda:

1) This quote, from Bobby Kennedy, is most relevant to the topics in the film:

"Disaster is our destiny unless we reinstall the toughness, the moral idealism which has guided this nation during its history. The paramount interest in oneself for money, for material goods, for security, must be replaced by an interest in one another, an actual, not just a vocal interest in our country, a search for adventure, a willingness to fight and a will to win; a desire to serve our community, our schools, our nation. So if we are uneasy about our country today, perhaps it is because we are truer to our principles than we realize."

2) If you really won't see a film without knowing more about it, see Geoff Boucher's writeup in the Los Angeles Times.

12:22 AM  
Blogger squeedles said...

I totally agree; I think it was probably the best movie I'm seen all year. Absolutely astonishing.

3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been waiting for this film.
Thanks for the heads up, it looks wonderful. Loved the review you provided. We KNOW what Fox will say. I think they are the ones who hate America. Redford's a patriot in the truest sense.

Dawn

7:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Meryl Streep promoting this movie on The Daily Show, and it moved immediately to the top of my "must see" list. My birthday is 11/8, and it opens on the 9th. I'm hoping my wife and daughter will go with me to see it, as part birthday present, and part payback for all the really mind-numbing movies they force me to watch. :)

In case anyone is interested in seeing a few clips, the URL for the movie is

http://www.lionsforlambsmovie.com/

(Forgive me if I overlooked an existing link on this thread.)

After a long draught, it looks like a few good movies are finally making it to release - though most not with the commercial punch of this one.

Also on my must see list are Taxi to the Dark Side

http://www.taxitothedarkside.com/

and Terror's Advocate

http://www.terrorsadvocatefilm.com/

I have to admit, I'm also looking forward to "American Gangster". (Guilty pleasures)

8:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert Fisk recommends Rendition.

7:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home