CA decertifies electronic voting machines!
Wow! She did it. Calif. Secretary of State Debra Bowen did exactly what a bunch of dedicated activists elected her to do. Summary below but details at http://www.sos.ca.gov/elections/elections_vsr.htm:
- She reviewed all the voting systems used in the state that were submitted for review.
- She decertified all systems from the one vendor who refused to turn over their code for examination - ES&S, owners of Los Angeles County's popular, but of unknown veracity, InkaVote system.
- She decertified Diebold, Hart Intercivic, and Sequoia DRES (including at least some optical scan systems).
- Only ONE Diebold AccuVote-TSx system is allowed per precinct, to aid the disabled.
- "User jurisdictions are required to conduct a 100% manual count audit of the electronic results tabulated on each DRE machine in use on Election Day." (That's from the conditional recertification requirements for Diebold.)